Research Experience Opportunities
There are several options for gaining research experience in the PEP Lab!
We review applications on an as-needed basis, and welcome under-represented students to apply, including BIPOC students, first-generation students, people from working-class backgrounds, LGBTQIA students, people with disabilities, and other under-represented groups.
- We are looking for highly motivated people to help us with a variety of research projects.
- Tasks may include entering data, assisting during the laboratory sessions, serving as an experimenter, cleaning psychophysiological data, completing literature searches, setting up Qualtrics questionnaires, and a host of other duties.
Independent Study for Credit (PSYC 395)
- Independent study in junior or senior year
- Only available for Fall and Spring semesters
- We’ll pair you with a lab member to get hands-on experiences working on a variety of our ongoing research projects
- For PSYC 395 credit, you must have completed PSYC 101 and 2 additional PSYC courses (at least one of which is 200-level or above
- Application and interview required
More information about PSYC 395 requirements is available online.
- To complete an Honors project in the PEP Lab, you must have been working our lab (volunteer or PSYC 395) for at least one year.
- We can only accept a maximum of 3 Honors students per year. If you are thinking about doing an Honors Project, please let your mentor know by February.
More information about Psychology & Neuroscience Honors is available online, including requirements and application.
- Students must be eligible for UNC or Federal Work-Study financial aid.
- $8 to $12 per hour, depending on duties and experience
Requirements for Joining the Lab
Availability: Our primary requirement is that you are available during the times when we will be collecting data. Different research projects are collecting data at different times, but we are often running lab sessions from 8:00 am through 8:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Commitment: Because of the training involved, we ask you to commit to working with us for at least two semesters or 1 year, for a minimum of 10 hours per week.